Environmental Management System certification to the ISO 14001 standard helps organizations demonstrate an ongoing commitment to improving your environmental performance. An ISO 14001 certified EMS focuses on actively managing the adverse environmental effects of business operations through a systematic approach to complying with international environmental standards.
The standard has been subject to a comprehensive rewrite to ensure that its aims and purpose appropriately support the changing needs of today’s world and reflect the increasingly complex environment in which organizations operate.
ISO 14001 focuses on high-level strategic direction, integrating environmental management principles into the structure of an organization, linking your EMS to broader objectives with specific clauses relating to management engagement; policy; communication; documented information; performance and evaluation; and, management review.
Benefits of ISO 14001
- Environmental legislation compliance – ISO 14001 certification can help you comply with legislative requirements by providing a systematic approach for meeting current, and identifying future, legislation.
- Increased credibility – Being independently assessed against ISO 14001 increases your credibility and provides a competitive edge over non-certified businesses when invited to tender.
- Risk management – Certification to ISO 14001 can help you demonstrate you are managing environmental risks and are making continual improvements against specific targets.
- Cost reduction – By promoting continual improvement against environmental objectives, ISO 14001 can help drive more efficient use of raw materials and enhanced performance leading to cost reductions.
- Easily integrated – ISO 14001 shares a common management system framework with other management system standards, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 45001, enabling easy integration with your quality, environmental and occupational health & safety management systems.